Central Saint Martins is known for churning out it’s one-of-a-kinds, geniuses and go-getters. Take a quick peek at the alumni and you find the likes of Luella Bartley, Peter Blake and M.I.A to name a few. Well, this little lady is no exception.
Meet Susan Campbell, a Textile Design graduate and print designing enthusiast. The Congleton-born, bob-flaunting individual quite frankly has the patience of a saint with her intricate, neoprene print design but boy, does it pay off.
Susan’s heroic creative process involves drawing her initial designs onto Adobe Illustrator as vector lines, then printing out these designs and deciphering where she will place her colours followed by breaking the design up into various pieces, again on Illustrator. After this, she laser cuts the designs onto coloured neoprene, leaving her with a thousand tiny jigsaw pieces. From here on she pieces those neoprene nuggets back together on a glue coated lycra base and voila! To see the agonising journey itself from drawing to dream, head over to her tumblr.
Currently working at Ted Baker taking on the role of Womenswear Print Assistant and spending her London days like any young print designer should; picnicking, partying and printing. I caught up with the Campbell herself and asked her the all important question of which One Direction member she would kidnap and keep..
One Direction then.. who would be the member of choice?
– Zayn, without a doubt.
So then, onto print I suppose. What tickles your fancy in the way of inspiration for your prints?
– I love going to exhibitions, looking at blogs and magazines and genuinely, just walking a lot gives me inspiration from the things I see along the way.
Who is the ‘Susan Campbell’ consumer you have in mind when designing your prints?
– Someone who is playful yet sophisticated. Someone that doesn’t take themselves too seriously.
If you could pluck out a celeb of choice to be donning your designs, who would it be?
How would you describe your own personal style?
– Colourful and sporty with lots of leopard print.
– Eva Fontanelli and The Queen.
New York, Paris, London or Milan?
What do you love about where you live right now?
– Everything you could ever want is on Bethnal Green Road. Literally, anything from David Beckham pencil cases to giant bubble machines! I also love that you can never become bored because there is always something fun going on.
Share a charming anecdote (no pressure.)
– I broke my collarbone aged 10 whilst dressed as a prostitute. I had to go straight to hospital unchanged..
And what does the future hold for Miss Campbell?
– Good question! A lot of enjoyment hopefully. I’m also working to push my ideas and concepts in a way I’m really excited about.
You heard it here first ladies and gents! Want even more from Miss C? Well, isn’t that what good ol’ social media is all about? Have a peep at her wonderfully artistic Bethnal Green life via her instragram or maybe even pop over to her official website.